Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Look What I Found...How Neat Is This!

I guess it's no secret that I love to read cookbooks. That's right, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I especially love the old ones. It's like peeking into the lives of these amazing women. It's not about the recipes so much as it is the language they use. I can envision women who, like us, wanting only what was best for their families and doing it without modern conveniences. I can only imagine the hardships they faced in doing that.

With that said, I came across a project that Michigan State University Museum has done. It's called, "Feeding America".
Original cookbooks were scanned and logged. It is amazing to look at some of them.

Lately, I have come across one titled, "The Womans Suffrage Cookbook". It was published in 1886 (did you even know they had cookbooks in 1886?) Talk about strong and feisty women. Here are a few of my favorite entries from that book. And hey, if you want to see more, take a look at the link under some of my favorites on the right.


When you were weak and I was strong, I toiled for you. Now you are strong and I am weak. Because of my work for you, I ask your aid. I ask the ballot for myself and my sex. As I stood by you, I pray you stand by me and mine.--Clara Barton, to the Soldiers.

The correct principle is that women are not only justified, but exhibit the most exalted virtue, when they enter on the concerns of their country, of humanity, and of their God.--John Quincy Adams.

Mothers should never allow a child to sleep with its mouth open or snore. This habit can be broken up if attended to when the child is small. They should be early taught to clear the passage leading from the nasal organ to the throat, as this, if neglected, will cause catarrh, and it is cruel to let a child grow up with a snoring habit. ELIZABETH L. SAXON.

Preserving the Health.


(A RECIPE THOROUGHLY TESTED, AND FOUND NOT WANTING IN ANY PARTICULAR.)


Preserving the health is the most important preserving done in the family, and, unlike most other preserving, the fruits are obtainable at all seasons of the year. But simple as the process is, and few as are the necessary ingredients, a very limited number of housewives do this preserving for everyday use in the household.


A very simple recipe for preserving the health, and one that will never fail if directions are carefully followed, consists of a good-sized measure of common-sense, to which should be added in equal quantities by the guardians of the family life, independence and thoughtfulness. Mix well with fresh air and physical exercise. Then take the spices of sanitary, physiological, and hygienic knowledge, and grate down to the consistency for everyday usage, and stir briskly into the preserving pot. Add cold water enough to form a syrup of cleanliness and vitality. For extra flavoring, nothing is better than cheerfulness and good temper. Simmer well, and serve to the separate members of the family in carefully-considered dress, sufficiently warm and loose to permit the freedom of every organ, muscle and nerve, and insure perfect circulation of the blood. Care must be taken in this preserving not to allow popular prejudice and accepted custom to spoil the delicate flavor given by the fruit of common-sense.
ANNIE JENNESS MILLER.

Put one tablespoonful of kerosine to a quart of boiled starch for colored clothes. Iron without sprinkling; this saves time, and gives the garment a flexible stiffness like new goods. CLARA BERWICK COLBY.

I am so grateful that I do not have to use kerosene when I iron (and do people really iron anymore?)





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am all about girl power. These strong a feisty women are awesome! I enjoyed reading your post. Remember that well-behaved women seldom make history. Some day I hope I am remembered as strong and feisty!

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

Marci, I just love you and always have!! Yes, you are strong and feisty and as Martha says, It's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

FYI-Cole and Audrey started a blog. www.rebelliousroberts.blogspot.com
Love Ya!