
I must admit when I heard who McCain had picked for his running mate I thought, who? There has been much talk and debate around the Roberts house about Sarah Palin. Blake, being a political science major, thinks that McCain's choice is brilliant and I invite him to share why. There are others in our family that disagree. I am not decided yet. While I like to listen to Obama speak, I do not agree with his policies at all. I think that his economic program would spell disaster. Got to admit though that I am not a fan of McCain's either. But I like what I am learning about Palin. She seems to be the real deal. Whoever you are for you must admit that the Presidential race just took an interesting turn. I'd love to hear what all of you think so feel free to leave a comment.
The following is taken from the State of Alaska website:
Governor Sarah Palin made history on Dec. 4, 2006, when she took office. As the 11th governor of Alaska, she is the first woman to hold the office.
Since taking office, her top priorities have been resource development, education and workforce development, public health and safety, and transportation and infrastructure development.
Under her leadership, Alaska invested $5 billion in state savings, overhauled education funding, and implemented the Senior Benefits Program that provides support for low-income older Alaskans. She created Alaska’s Petroleum Systems Integrity Office to provide oversight and maintenance of oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure, and the Climate Change Subcabinet to prepare a climate change strategy for Alaska.
During her first legislative session, Governor Palin’s administration passed two major pieces of legislation – an overhaul of the state’s ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.
Governor Palin is chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multi-state government agency that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment. She was recently named chair of the National Governors Association (NGA) Natural Resources Committee, which is charged with pursuing legislation to ensure state needs are considered as federal policy is formulated in the areas of agriculture, energy, environmental protection and natural resource management. Prior to being named to this position, she served as co-chair of this committee.
Prior to her election as governor, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and two terms as the mayor/manager of Wasilla. During her tenure, she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment, drawing in new industry.
She has served as chair of the Alaska Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's most valuable non-renewable resources: oil and gas. She was elected by her peers to serve as president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. In this role, she worked with local, state and federal officials to promote solutions to the needs of Alaska's communities.
Sarah Heath Palin arrived in Alaska with her family in 1964, when her parents came to teach school in Skagway. She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987. Palin, who graduated from Wasilla High School in 1982, has lived in Skagway, Eagle River and Wasilla.
She is married to Todd Palin, who is a lifelong Alaskan, a production operator on the North Slope and a four-time champion of the Iron Dog, the world's longest snowmachine race.
Todd and Sarah fish in Bristol Bay with their children – Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig. Through Todd’s Yup'ik grandmother, Alaska’s Native heritage plays an important role in their family. Track enlisted in the U.S. Army on Sept. 11, 2007.
Prior to taking office, Palin served on numerous boards and commissions throughout the state. She was active in her family’s pursuits – including serving as a sports team mom and school volunteer. She also runs marathons.
Palin is a lifetime member of the NRA and enjoys hunting, fishing, Alaska history, and all that Alaska's great outdoors has to offer.
Best Free Minecraft Skins
5 years ago
14 comments:
Ok, I was seriously thinking about voting for Obama after hearing his speech. (simmer down, hear me out) But then the next morning after hearing her speech, McCain just got my vote. I love her. Don't really know anything about her. But hearing her "I am woman, hear me roar" speech gave me goosebumps. Plus she adds some much needed charisma to the GOP ticket. Forget about what her experience is on Foreign Policy, she is a mother, what more experience do you need? I am all about girl power...
Thanks Marci, I agree!
OBAMA FOR YOUR MAMA!!!!
Thanks Holly, I don't agree!
most OLD republicans dont.
McCain has several issues that have seriously hindered his campaign (some exaggeration to follow):
1) Nobody likes him as a person.
2) Nobody likes his politics, they only dislike Obama's.
3) He has a bit of an image problem, in that people see him as a grumpy, mean old man.
4) There is a very real concern that he might die in office.
5) Because of the above mentioned issues, while he may be polling high, no one is sure if anyone will actually show up on voting day.
Palin addresses these issues nicely for the Conservative base that McCain desperately needs. Sure, picking a woman will draw a few votes who are more concerned with gender than anything else, but she brings much more to the table than just some confused and obscure sexists.
1) Everybody likes her (except for tree huggers). She is running incredibly high approval ratings as Governor, and she is so likable she once won Miss Alaska.
2) Conservatives love her politics. She is a throwback to old fashioned consrevativism, and is clean of belt way politics. She has remained firm on those issues even when it was most trying for her, and so conservatives feel that she will stick to them once she hits Washington.
3) Republican's now have a reason to vote for McCain. When it was an issue of supporting someone you don't like because you happen to dislike the other guy a little more, voter turnout is a huge problem. Palin has the chance to breath new life to the campaign, and the opportunity for Republican's to win an election while setting up their own female candidate who everyone likes to square off with Hillary down the road is a dream come true.
4)Since even his supporters are concerned that McCain may die in office, Palin is the type of person who Republicans would love to see in office anyway (perhaps even more than McCain if truth be told), and so she draws in voters who might otherwise be further alienated by another beltway politician or cooperate leader.
So, while she by no means brings a slam dunk win, I think that her having the VP slot gives McCain a real chance to take the win by giving all the Republicans who dislike him a reason to actually show up and vote for him (it's one thing to say you'll vote for him when the pollers are calling you, another to actually go out there by your own effort and support a candidate).
As for Holly, this whole "Obama for your Momma" thing, are you saying that Obama is a hermaphrodite? :P
Holly- It's "Obama Fo Yo Mama". See I'm not that old!!!! I can sound hip and cool.....
Blake-Thanks for your analysis...you are so dang smart! I will just consult you with my future voting dilemas.
Wendy-Why don't you consider taking off the comment moderation for this thread. This looks like fun and then we can see it immediately. Am I being bossy? Sorry......
I am seriously thinking about allowing anonymous comments. So that the blog trespassers (Utah & Mesa family) will come out of hiding. Because I know who they are!!
Marci, You aren't bossy, it's a good suggestion. One of those, why didn't I do that kind of things? Thanks!
And by the way, how is Chase doing? I am so glad he wasn't hurt. Don't you just hate those heart stopping phone calls?!
OK Blake, I don't want to appear like an idiot, but I can't process your first #2 comment....I knew I should have gone to college.
Wendy, Chase is just fine. He wasn't even sore.
I'm so glad that you brought this whole election thing up. I have been in a serious dilema about it. I like what I hear from Obama, but can he follow through? I am not real crazy about the state the economy is in and I want to blame Bush, even if I know that he isn't totally to blame. Hence the reason I am not lovin McCain...He is just another Bush. I just wish we had better choices. But I am ready for a change, change is good....
Oh, I LOVE that I can see my comment immediately! I am all about instant gratification ya know....
I have to admit I can't stand listening to politicians...I pretty much think they are just saying what they think people want to hear to get themselves elected. What I look at is their experience in their respective offices. How have they voted on issues? what bills have they supported? I think looking at their past will tell us what kind of leader they will be for our future. Obama is waaaaayyy too liberal for me. Just look at his voting record in the senate. He speaks of new beginnings and time for changes but he picks a running mate who had been in the good ol boy senate faternity for 38 odd years? That's a change? Also, what about Obama's religious leader..or should I say "former" religious leader? Get on U tube if you haven't already heard his "sermons"...its unbeliveable to listen to the hate the man spews. And this was Obamas religious leader for 20 years..
I love McCain's choice of Sarah Palin. I think its left the democrats speechless (sort of) I think she's smart and articulate and she has a great rating from her state. People of couse are saying she has no experience..um, Bill Clinton's (yuck!) experience was what? oh yeah, a Govenor. Blake, great break down on McCain and Palin. You hit it on the nail. I think Palin is the perfect balance for McCain. I've been so unimpressed with the choices I was actually thinking of not voting in the election for the first time ever...I hate feeling like I have to choose from the lesser of two evils, but with Palin on board now its an easy choice....way to go Wendy for the politcal kick in the pants !! And Blake, isn't it Hillary who is the hermaphrodite?
Like everyone else, I also asked, "WHO?" when she was announced. I have started reading a lot about her and love her politics and what she brings to the table. And McCain isn't the first one to bring an unknown to the ticket...remember Dan Quayle or Spiro Agnew?
As far as wavering between Obama and McCain...I don't think I will ever cross party lines on a national election even when I'm not crazy about the candidate. The president appoints supreme court justices that that has an even longer term effect than the 4-8 years of presidency. Our next president may have to appoint several.
And don't worry Wendy, I have an Obama supporter too in my household. It makes for some interesting discussions at the dinner table.
Thanks everyone for posting your views. I love that we can have an open discussion. The next few weeks are going to be very interesting!
Post a Comment