Thursday, August 21, 2008

Family History - Day Line



A few weeks ago I excitedly posted about finding our ancestor Thomas Jefferson Day. Well today it just got better. Gram and I were able to get together to work on family history and today we were able to take the Day line back to 1640 in Beercrocombe, a very small farming village close to the Fivehead River, in Somerset, England. The pictures above are of the St. James church in Beercrocombe as it stands today. The church is thought to have been built in the 1400's which means this is the church that our ancestors were christened in and some are most likely buried here too. I am so beside myself with joy and want so badly to visit. Here is a link to the village website if you would like to see more pictures...

Beercrocombe

What we discovered is that Robert Day married Abigail Collyar May 24, 1664 in Beercrocombe, Taunton Deane, Somerset, England. Their son, John, born 7 Jun 1667, emigrated to America due to religious persecution by King James. John had become a Quaker, a new religion founded in the late 1600's by George Fox. Once in America, he settled in Pennsylvania with William Penn. An interesting note; President Richard Nixon is also descended from a branch of Robert Day b. 1640.

Here is a breakdown of their (our) line.

Robert Day born 1640 begat John Day born 1667 (who came to America with the Quakers and settled in PA with William Penn)

John Day begat John Day born 1707

John Day begat Stephen Day born 1742. Stephen migrated from PA. to North Carolina with Capt. Joseph Maddock. The Quakers were treated badly by the Governor of NC which forced them to move to Georgia. Stephen settled in Columbia Co., Ga. There is evidence that Stephen served in the Revolutionary War. I hope to have more information on that soon. :)

Stephen Day begat Jonathan Day born 1776

Jonathan Day begat John Day born 1796

John Day begat Thomas Jefferson Day born 1823. Thomas Jefferson Day died of measels after volunteering to fight for the South in the Civil War.

Thomas Jefferson Day begat Robert Newton Day born 1847

Robert Newton Day begat Robert Hanson Day born 1881

Robert Hanson Day begat Naomi Arline Day born 1914

Naomi Arline Day begat Mary Sandra Langley born 1938

Mary Sandra Langley begat Wendy Anne Kephart Roberts 1959

Can you believe it? Today these people really came alive for me. They faced religious persecution and came to America to practice what they believed. Our family was there during so much of our Nation's beginnings. It amazes me that just a few months ago we could go no further back than Robert Newton Day. It has truly been an answer to prayers and a gift from a loving Heavenly Father to allow us to have this history.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO exciting! LOVE the pics. You need to go there someday and see it in person with your mom! I admire your genealogy work, you are awesome! (When you are done with your, you can start on mine...K?)

Oh, and what a difference in postings...you-family history, me-rock concerts.....I am a loser...

Roberts Family Ramblings said...

My mom and I said the same thing. We so want to go there! You are not a loser, you are the one that makes everything fun!

Life with Langleys: Utah Chapter said...

Okay....so I'm a geneology looser too...I need to get on the ball with my mothers family. It is so cool to find your (our) family! I'm sitting tearing up. And if you plan a trip abroad you'd better let me in on it. I've always wanted to go over and see where the Cannon's came from in England and the Isle of Man. Great job you guys!!!!