Blake posted the following on his facebook and it spoke to my own feelings so eloquently that I am posting it here for all to read. I do so without his permission and I hope that it will be ok, I haven't been able to reach him and I just felt it was so important. With that said, here is Blake's post:
"It's been no secret these last several months that I have been supporting McCain. While I did not support him in the primaries, it is my belief that of the two candidates for President he was the better choice, and I am sorry to see him lose. Though the electoral votes are heavily on Pres. Obama's side, McCain did very well in the popular vote and I must admit that he did better than I thought he would. Watching his concession speech, I admit that at no time have I ever been more convinced that he was the right choice, and I have never been so proud as to say that I was a supporter. I remain convinced that he would have been the better choice.
But the people have spoken, the ballots cast and the decision now made. I have felt for the last several weeks that Barack Obama would be the next President, and as I've listened to the doom and gloom crowd prophecy great evils befalling the land under his administration, I've developed a relative calm about the matter.
I have said since the beginning that while I think he would be be great for the country in many ways, the ideological divide has been too great for me to bridge. As I look at his platform I find myself in disagreement with him over nearly ever policy, be it gun control, abortion, homosexual issues, energy, taxes, or economics. As such, I face a long four (possibly eight) years.
As I drove home today from running some errands I reflected on the situation I was about to be, and now have been, placed in. I reached several conclusions, which were then reinforced as I watched Pres. Obama give his victory speech. Perhaps it sounds old fashioned, especially for a person my age, but I am a believer in the system. While I did not vote for him, I was proud to see him elected, and I feel that it is an important step in our country's history. Watching him speak I was struck with the marvelous opportunity he now has. I honestly feel that no President since Kennedy has had greater potential for success, and that no President since FDR has had greater potential for disaster.
As the time approaches for those of my persuasion to step gracefully into the role of loyal opposition, I find myself hopeful for the future. Though I disagree with him on many issues, I sincerely hope that America becomes a better place under his leadership. While I worry about the possible erosion of rights and values that may come, I am optimistic about what the future holds. In a couple months he will be sworn in, and once the rubber hits the road we will see which direction we move towards.
I don't know the future, I don't know where we will be in four years; but I am proud to say that I'm an American, and though I did not vote for him I am proud to say that Barack Obama is my President."
2 comments:
Thanks Blake. My thoughts exactly. I am ready to put this behind us and move forward in a positive and productive way. I too was moved by his speech. It was amazing to watch the faces of black Americans, the tears, the joy, the hope. We can all have that, it is there for us too. In watching the news this morning of the world reaction, it gives me hope. The world is thrilled with Obama, they are cheering in the streets. Maybe this will be a start to getting along with one another. I know, I am dreaming. But I have never seen such a positive worldwide reaction to an American president. I am proud too. And hopeful that our new President will bring healing and change to our country.
Thanks Blake, you are awesome! I wish I could write like you. I guess that is what college will do....
Blake, I love your optimism and positive outlook ...hopefully at some point I'll feel the same. I too felt McCain was the right man for the office. I have tremendous respect for his service to our country both in the senate and especially in Viet Nam. I remember watching the POW's step off the airplanes back in the early 70's and feeling very respectful of them then and I have no doubt that he would ALWAYS put the country first..because he always has. Mr Obama has shown us all he can talk the talk...now can he walk the walk??? time will tell.
Post a Comment